So I never really got deep into the lore of Star Wars, and I would be lying if I said I was a diehard fan. Still, I did enjoy the older movies when I was younger, watching them on TV with my grandad. The newer films haven’t impressed me as much, and I lean a bit more towards Star Trek. I know some people out there are probably shaking their heads or questioning my “nerd culture” card. Maybe both. Haha.
I will admit, however, I found myself getting sucked into The Mandalorian (2019—). I binge-watched the whole thing practically in one sitting before the last two episodes came out. I thought it was written extremely well, and I was excited to hear that there will be a second season. I hope it keeps its momentum and stays around for a while. For my own tastes personally, it’s been really difficult to find TV shows that capture and keep my interest these days. And come on, who doesn’t love a little Baby Yoda? (Although, I’m still a Baby Groot fan all the way).
I absolutely loved Jon Favreau’s writing. According to a former significant other of mine, who is deep into Star Wars lore and could probably recite back to front every single factoid about it, Favreau’s writing has always been strong for Star Wars, and he just gets the lore right. Now, if only that could be translated well to the films. It makes me think of the whole Marvel/DC thing. I like Marvel movies better than their TV series, and the opposite is true for DC, for me, anyway. But I digress, as usual.
The first season leaves me with enough questions that I think it does reasonably justify having a second season, and I hope the show only keeps up its momentum from there.
I’ve got a few spoilers here for you, because I’m about the list all the questions I have, so if you haven’t seen it yet, I highly recommend watching it before continuing on. I don’t think there’s a way to hide or mark spoilers on WordPress anymore (or if there is, I just haven’t found it yet). Either way, if you don’t want them, turn back, haha. Or just skip past all the bullet points. That’s where all the spoilery things are.
So these are some remaining questions that I hope get answered or at least continue to get fleshed out in the second season:
- First off, I lied, my first question has nothing to do with what I would like to see in season two, it’s more I just couldn’t help but wonder why the parents just didn’t hide in the cellar with their child, who eventually becomes the The Mandalorian. I understand for dramatic effect, but there was honestly plenty of room. Of course, if they had survived, there probably would never have been a Mandalorian, and therefore, no show. I accept this.
- Now, onto actual questions. Who is Baby Yoda anyway? (And I have been told that Favreau prefers Baby Yoda to be referred to as “The Child,” but Baby Yoda just sounds so much more adorable, and I’m sticking with it. Sorry, sir.) Does Baby Yoda actually become Yoda? Again, from what I’ve been told, up until now, Yoda was the only one of his kind, so if this is a different Yoda, then I would be interested in learning what the actual race they are is called, and how Baby Yoda fits in the lore. If Baby Yoda is not actually Yoda, where did it go?
- Something I found confusing that maybe someone out there might be able to clarify—there’s a scene (I forget which episode), where there is a pile of Mandalorian gear that “Mando” (as he is often referred to as) and crew stumble upon as they try to make their escape through underground tunnels. When the Armorer says something along the lines that they sacrificed themselves, I wonder if she meant they revealed their true faces and ran off to safety? Or were they annihilated? If annihilated, does that mean the Armorer and Mando are the only Mandalorians left? Or are there still more out there, perhaps in hiding right now?
- How did no one know that the Mandalorians were hiding in the underground tunnels this whole time?
- I would like more backstory on The Mandalorian himself, definitely. What was his training like? Is he the best among the best of his people?
- Which leads me to the question of the brother and sister duo on the prison ship. There was definitely some animosity/bad blood there. What exactly happened? (It’s the same type of question I have whenever Black Widow and Hawkeye mention Budapest as a dry inside joke between them in the Marvel films). And, not that it’s all that important, I wonder what the relationship was between the sister and Mando was, in terms of romantically. Aside from the one brief face reveal we have in the series, Mando never takes off his helmet. Did they hold hands? Did the sister just kiss the helmet whenever she wanted to show affection? Not really important questions, but definitely still curious about them.
- How on earth did Moff Gideon survive that crash? (I know, it’s because he’s the main villain and their often invincible, at least for a long stretch of time, but just saying, haha.)
- Does the brother and that one bounty hunter guy survive when their ship gets attacked? (Sorry, I am so out of touch with the lore I don’t remember character names at this point.) I’m sure they do, but I wouldn’t mind seeing how, just to satisfy my curiosity.
There are other questions I have too, but those are really the main ones for now. Season Two of The Mandalorian is supposed to come sometime in Fall 2020, which I look forward to.
Anyone got any thoughts on the series? Interested in teaching me more about the lore of Star Wars? Feel free to sound off in the comments. Would love to hear from you all.